Signs Of Problems With Your Electrical Wiring

Posted on: 27 December 2022


Keeping up with all the systems in your home can be overwhelming. In most cases, it might seem like something always needs upgrading or improving. However, every homeowner should have a list of things they should always maintain for the home to be functional and efficient. In this case, the electrical systems should top that list. More so, you can tell it is time to call an electrician if you're keen on observing signs that your electrical wiring might have problems. Here are some signs that it's time to rectify or replace the wiring.

The Lights Keep Flickering

One of the most common telltale signs that something is wrong with your wiring is when the bulbs keep blinking on and off. Note that lights typically use a small amount of electricity. Therefore, if yours are flickering, it could signal that something is seriously wrong with the system. For example, if you have large home appliances, they could overload the circuit. In such a case, an electrician can check and determine whether to repair or upgrade the wiring.

Unusual Odors in the Home

Smells can also tell you when there's something wrong with the electrical system. Keep in mind that when you plug in appliances like microwaves, curling irons, and a few others for the first time, they emit a characteristic burning plastic smell. On the other hand, if you have an odor in your home and haven't bought these appliances, your wiring may be frayed. So, observe when the smell occurs and the appliance and outlet you plug before it starts. Then, unplug it and call an electrician to look at it. In such a case, there is a high possibility that it's damaged, hence the burning odor. The electrician will remove the outlet and replace the damaged wiring to spare your home from potential fire hazards.

Excess Cords and Connections

Too many chords in your outlet are another sign of poor wiring. However, this is common in older homes with few outlets because of fewer uses for electricity. Note that this often leads to overloading and sparking and could cause electrical fires. Hence, you need a home electrician to redo your wiring and update your home with sufficient outlets.

Hot Electrical Plates

The electrical plates should never heat up to the extent of burning up. So, if you touch the outlet plates and notice heat coming from them, it's time to call the electrician. In most cases, heat often links to overloading the circuit, short-circuiting, and sparking.

Remember, a residential electrician can help you deal with all these problems. This is because they understand how the systems work, what every sign of trouble means, and what to do to resolve it. Hence, they will help you regain a functional wiring system in no time.

Contact a residential electrician for more information.